Backus Hospital has provided quality health care to the residents of Eastern Connecticut since 1893.
Visit Backus Hospital
Backus Hospital includes The William W. Backus Hospital in Norwich; health centers in Montville, Colchester, Ledyard, Norwich and North Stonington; the Backus Outpatient Care Center in Norwich; the Plainfield Backus Emergency Care Center, which is a new stand-alone ER and outpatient center; Backus Home Health Care; and Backus Physician Services.
It is the only trauma center in Windham and New London Counties and houses one of Hartford Hospital's LIFE STAR helicopters.
Fast Facts (FY 2015)
SVP & President: Bimal Patel, SVP & President, East Region
Licensed bed capacity: 233
Transitions from inpatient care: 10,803
Patient days: 47,919
ED visits: 79,930
Newborn admissions: 903
Inpatient surgeries: 2,365
Ambulatory surgeries: 6,427
Physicians on staff: 329
Operating revenue: $292.5 million
Community benefit (FY 14): $24.6 million
Accomplishments (FY 2015)
- Opened a 2,500-square-foot family health center in Ledyard and a family health center in Waterford, increasing access to urgent and primary care in Eastern Connecticut.
- Began construction of a 40,000-square-foot center in Plainfield (to be completed in 2016) to house rehabilitation services, a women’s health center,cardiology services, infusion and medical oncology services, and an ambulatory surgery center.
- Backus was the first hospital in Eastern Connecticut to offer the latest daVinci robotic surgical technology, expanding hospital robotics beyond urology and gynecology.
- First hospital in Eastern Connecticut to offer MAKOplasty®, a new surgical, minimally invasive technology to improve patient outcomes in knee and hip surgeries.
- Named a 2014/2015 Consumer Choice Award winner by the National Research Corporation, an award recognizing hospitals across the country that consumers choose as having the highest quality and image.
- Named a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures by the Joint Commission for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care.
- Launched the Preventive Medicine Institute to move care toward population health management, with providers working closely with patients with chronic conditions to reduce readmissions and Emergency Department visits.
- Breast Center earned full three-year reaccreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers with the surveyor also selecting the program as a “Best Practice Repository,” establishing Backus as a national leader in breast care.
- Trauma center was re-verified as a Level III Trauma Center by the Verification Review Committee, an ad hoc committee of the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons. Backus offers the only trauma center in New London and Windham counties.
- Health centers in Colchester, Montville, North Stonington, Norwichtown and Waterford received top scores from the National Committee for Quality Assurance. The centers received Level 3 Patient Centered Medical Home recognition, the highest recognition given for primary care practices.
- One of only three hospitals in the New York Metro area to be honored with the Northeast Business Group on Health Leapfrog Hospital Award for “dedication and commitment to improving patient safety and quality.” Received an “A” hospital safety score.
- For the fifth straight year, Backus recognized as one of the most technologically advanced hospitals in the nation with a “Most Wired” Award by Hospitals and Health Networks, a publication of the American Hospital Association.