Backus Hospital has provided quality health care to the residents of Eastern Connecticut since 1893.
Visit Backus Hospital
Backus Hospital includes The William W. Backus Hospital in Norwich; health centers in Montville, Colchester, Ledyard, Norwich and North Stonington; the Backus Outpatient Care Center in Norwich; the Plainfield Backus Emergency Care Center, which is a new stand-alone ER and outpatient center; Backus Home Health Care; and Backus Physician Services.
It is the only trauma center in Windham and New London Counties and houses one of Hartford Hospital's LIFE STAR helicopters.
Fast Facts (FY 2016)
SVP & President: Bimal Patel, SVP & President, East Region
Licensed bed capacity: 233
Transitions from inpatient care: 10,607
Patient days: 46,555
ED visits: 78,199
Newborn admissions: 970
Inpatient surgeries: 2,214
Ambulatory surgeries: 6,334
Physicians on staff: 310
Operating revenue (FY15): $292.5 million
Community benefit (FY 14): $24.6 million
Accomplishments (FY 2016):
- Constructed a new unit specifically for orthopedic patients which includes 20 private rooms and a suite for physical therapy.
- Added endoscopic ultrasonography, an advanced, minimally invasive procedure for identifying and diagnosing problems in the abdomen and gastrointestinal tract.
- Added rehabilitation services, including physical therapy and occupational therapy, at the Backus Family Health Center in Norwichtown.
- Received “top performer” recognition by The Joint Commission for scores on specific healthcare quality measures, including performance on evidence-based care processes for the treatment of heart attack, pneumonia and stroke.
- Broke ground on a center for specialty care in Plainfield. The 40,000-square-foot facility will house primary care, cardiology, specialty care, an infusion center and retail pharmacy.
- Named an Anticoagulation Center of Excellence by the National Anticoagulation Forum for the high level of care provided to patients on antithrombotic medications, which help reduce blood clotting and coagulation.
- Developed relationships with physician assistant programs at Quinnipiac University, the University of Bridgeport and University of Saint Joseph to host students during rotations in Emergency Medicine, Surgery and Internal Medicine.
- Partnered with ShopRite supermarket in Norwich on the Just Ask program to connect people across the region to healthier eating.
- Recognized by the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program for achieving meritorious outcomes for surgical patient care in 2016.