The Center for Gender Health - Trans ID Project

Gender Health Trans ID ProjectWhen you’re ready, there are resources to help you legally change your name as part of your gender affirmation journey.

We participate in the Connecticut Transgender ID Project, through which transgender, nonbinary and gender expansive resident of the state can access free legal advice to change their name or gender marker on such state and federal identity documents as:

  • U.S. passport
  • Social Security card
  • Driver’s license or state-issued ID
  • Birth certificate
  • Other documents and records.

For help, go to, call 800.455.GLAD or email

We also host free monthly legal aid clinics with attorneys from the firm Shipman & Goodwin LLP to support patients and others through the process of changing legal documents. Appointments are needed, so call us if you want to make one.