The Institute of Living (IOL) is one of America's leading not-for-profit centers for comprehensive patient care, research and education in the fields of behavioral, psychiatric and addiction disorders.
Research and education are important elements of The Institute's mission. The IOL has training programs in psychiatry, psychology, social work, nursing and rehabilitation. As a research center, The IOL conducts clinical trials of investigational new drugs and is a leader in outcome studies.
Community commitment is strong at The IOL. As a South End fixture for over 175 years, The IOL is proud to contribute to the stability and strength of its immediate neighborhood and the city beyond.
As a member of the Southside Institutions Neighborhood Alliance (SINA), The IOL has worked in collaboration with neighborhood organizations and city and state officials to improve housing and living conditions in the South End of Hartford.
Psyciatrist-In-Chief: Harold I. Schwartz, MD, VP, Behavioral Health
Medical Director: Linda S. Durst, MD
Director of Clinical Operations: Annetta K. Caplinger, MSN., CS
Nurse Director/Psychiatry: Ellen Blair, APRN, NEA-BC
Inpatient admissions: 4,055
Inpatient days: 33,943
Outpatient visits: 18,028
- Founded in 1822, The Institute of Living was one of the first mental health centers in the United States, and the first hospital of any kind in Connecticut.
- Numerous trees on the grounds of The Institute represent rare or unusually large species, many dating back to the 1860s, when the grounds of The Institute were designed by noted landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted.
- Rated in the Top 25 for Psychiatry in the Nation by US News & World Report, 2011-2012.
- First in state to offer NeuroStar TMS Therapy, a new, non-invasive treatment for patients with depression.
- CARES (Child and Adolescent Rapid Emergency Stabilization) unit received score of 100 percent in family satisfaction and overall patient satisfaction score of 97 percent on the survey item: “I was treated with courtesy and respect by the hospital staff.”
- Received $4.2 million bequest from patient estate.
AddressThe Institute of Living
200 Retreat Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106